Sunday, September 03, 2006

Now Even More Delicious!

I've posted a recipe for peanut sauce before, but reading the newest issue of Vegetarian Times gave me an idea for an even better version. It's simpler, tastier, and quicker to make. This is probably the best peanut sauce dish I've ever eaten. It's so great, in fact, that we ate it 3 times in one week.


Spicy Peanut Udon and Veggies


For the sauce:
- one third cup peanut butter (I like creamy, but crunchy would work, too)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha hot sauce, or to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or finely minced
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar

- 6 oz udon noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 8 oz frozen vegetables, steamed or stir-fried (I used a mix including sugar snap peas, green beans, carrots, broccoli, water chestnuts, and red peppers)
- one-half cup frozen edamame (optional)
- 3 large scallions, diagonally sliced about one quarter inch thick
- one quarter cup chopped cilantro (cilantro haters may substitute basil or parsley)
- lime wedges (optional)

Whisk together the sauce ingredients in a large bowl with about a quarter cup of hot water (I used water from the boiling pasta pot). The sauce should be about the consistency of heavy cream, so thin it with additional hot water if necessary.

When the pasta and vegetables are cooked, add them to the sauce along with the frozen edamame, scallions, and cilantro. Toss well and serve with lime wedges. Serves 4.

I made a second version of this dish last week, which was just about as perfect as the original. It was after midnight, and we had spent the last 12 hours moving and cleaning. All I could find food-wise was a packet of ramen, a jar of peanut butter, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and Sriracha sauce. A very light dinner for 2 was had.

Midnight Peanut Ramen

- 1 packet ramen noodles (discard flavor packet if it isn't vegetarian friendly)
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce

Cook ramen according to package directions. When noodles are done, add remaining ingredients (along with whatever else you might have in the pantry or fridge that sounds good) and stir well. Consume with gusto. Serves 2 as a midnight snack or 1 as a dinner soup.

The creamy, peanutty broth was particularly satisfying after a long day, and has set my mind to wondering about the possibilities of a peanut soup. Maybe with some coconut milk? Or even some roasted pumpkin? Perhaps when fall comes around I'll start working on that...

3 comments:

Martha said...

Hey, girl, your blog is beautiful! Thanks for putting all this up here so when I'm hungry and bored with my own cooking I can just browse your cuisine!

Leigh Ann said...

I just made some of this and it turned out fantastic-- I'll probably post a couple pictures on my LJ.

eatme_delicious said...

I love peanut sauce! I must try this recipe since you said it's the best. :) Your blog appeals to me because I too am vegetarian and grew up in an omnivorous family. However I don't really miss the meat dishes, rather I just miss things like bacon. In any case, I will definitely be visiting your blog again. :D